Our bodies are true miracles. I can’t even begin to describe what they do for us every single day, every hour, every minute, every second! Breath, heartbeat, blood circulation, digestion, the nervous system, the endocrine system, the immune system…all provide us with miraculous services, nonstop, and without being asked. Our bodies function so well in fact, that we often take them for granted. Until one day, they don’t. And then we sit there (or lie in bed), wondering why this stuff is all of a sudden coming up, like out of nowhere.
But do these things really come out of nowhere? Most health concerns, both small and big, have a history of factors that contributed to them. A series of not so great decisions, or unfortunate situations, or little nudges that we chose to ignore for the time being: “Aw man, I don’t have time for a cold now!”, or “I wonder if these stomach pains are related to my diet…but I’m too busy to change my diet at this time. Maybe later”.
Our bodies give us a plethora of little signals every day, telling us how to treat them best. We just have to listen, and be willing to support our miraculous physical vessels in the best way, nurturing them with gratitude, appreciation, compassion and care.
Even though our bodies talk to us all the time, it can be challenging to understand all the messages, especially if we have tuned them out for a while. Treat your body as you would treat your best friend: Ask questions, be genuinely curious about his or her day, be thoughtful, give little gifts and attention, share what’s going on in your life, engage in an active dialogue. Notice what comes up as answers, stay open, and replace any tendencies towards judgement with curiosity. Very soon, you’ll start noticing patterns, and you’ll be able to identify exactly what your body needs much quicker. It’s just like knowing your partner’s favorite song, your child’s favorite meal or your best friend’s favorite restaurant 😉
So here are 10 easy questions to ask your body every day:
1) How did you sleep? (Good, bad, okay, long enough? How was the bed, the pillow? Warm enough, too hot, too cold?)
2) Go through different body parts and ask them how they’re doing: Head, neck and shoulders, arms, back, stomach, hips, knees, feet. You can literally ask “How are you doing today, head?”. Notice any pain, discomfort, heaviness or tension.
3) Are you thirsty?
4) Are you hungry?
5) What would you like to eat right now?
6) What movement would feel good for you today? Stretching, walking, running, exercising, dancing, cuddling with a blanket on the sofa?
7) After a meal: How did you like this meal? Are you digesting it well?
8) Periodically during work hours: Do you need to take a break?
9) What can I do to support you today?
10) What would you like to tell me today?
Please share what came up for you in the comments below:
What was difficult and what was easy, what felt weird and what felt good?
How are you supporting your precious body today?
How does your body like Mondays? 😉
Love, Wisdom and Joy,
*This post was first published on http://www.energiesinmotion.com on July 25th, 2016